Leonard Pitts Jr. penned another, very accurate OpEd that describes where we are today: We have a lawless, incompetent president who does not care about anything other than enriching himself and his family and our institutions have done nothing to stop him. Checks and Balances seem to have disappeared…
“Once upon a time, there was an ideal. It was called the United States of America.
And in 2016, the presidency of the United States was captured by the flamboyantly incompetent star of a TV reality show, a man who doesn’t believe in any ideal beyond his own enrichment and aggrandizement. Some shaken observers assured us everything would yet be all right. The institutions of democracy — the courts, the Congress, the news media and the agencies of the federal government — would save America from the worst consequences of one of its worst decisions.
The vaunted institutions of democracy have proven largely unequal to the task of checking Trump’s transgressions.“Salt Lake Tribune:
Pitts goes on to list the various institutions that have done little to nothing to stop this “flamboyantly incompetent star of a TV reality show.”
- The courts: Rejected his bid to jack up the Census; upheld his Muslim ban
- Congress: Spineless, complicit, and have “given Trump less trouble than the Washington Generals give the Harlem Globetrotters.”
- News Media: Aggressive reporting on Trump’s high crimes and misdemeanors labeled, ‘Fake News!’ ignored and dismissed.
- Federal Agencies: Acting Director of National Intelligence protecting Trump from questions relating to his conversation with Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
- Attorney General William Barr: Acts as Trump’s personal attorney versus the AG for the country.