One victim told GRACE investigators, ” Part of me is going like, ‘This is super strange. That’s weird.’ And another part is going, ‘This can’t be happening. Eric is known as the guy who hates gay people. We’re the church that built our church based on anti-homosexuality. He kind of has a caricature out there, so no way this guy is coming onto me, I’m misreading him. I’m misunderstanding this situation.’”
An investigation by the Godly Response to Abuse in a Christian Environment (GRACE) has reported the following:
• Four men reported misconduct by Dudley.
• Father Dudley gave the victims food, drinks, clothes, airline tickets and his personal cassock.
• Father Dudley would caress, hold hands, touch the feet, and put his head on the victim’s laps.
• Dudley would arrange for only one bed to be in the room on out of state trips. He kiss the victims on the mouth.
• The victims had troubled homes, financial problems, or newly wed. The report stated all were young, fit, and good-looking.
Father Dudley is married and has three children. Now that he’s been busted, he’s asking for prayers.
The report said some members and leaders at St. Peter’s knew about misconduct complaints against Dudley since 2011 but that nothing was done until more allegations surfaced last year.
There was no report on the results of the prayers.