Hundreds of teens ran wild through Northgate Mall Thursday night, police said, starting fights and creating a panic among shoppers and workers on the busy first day after Christmas.
“There was kids swinging on the police officers. It just got chaotic,” said Jackie Cella, a shopper.
Police started getting calls about 6 p.m. from frightened shoppers and workers who said they were hiding in fear.
- Nearly 200 juveniles involved when the fights broke out.
- Police believe the situation originated on social media but do not know why it turned violent.
- Kids became extremely aggressive and violent with the police.
- Incident resulted in twelve teens arrested.
- The mall implemented a 5 PM curfew this entire week for all unaccompanied minors.
- One 13-year-old, two 14-year-olds, four 15-year-olds, and four 16-year-olds were charged with criminal trespass, according to the criminal complaints.
- One 15 year-old charged with assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and menacing.