“Your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins.”Could be: Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Stuart Mill, and even Abraham Lincoln.
Not only have the MAGAts protested against stay at home orders and our lovely Resident in the White House encouraged them to do so, now several wing nuts and the groups they belong to want Trump and Billy Barr to sue numerous states because… FREEDUMB!
In a letter sent to Attorney General Bill Barr on Friday, the Conservative Action Project, a group of conservative leaders including Matt Schlapp of the American Conservative Union, Tom Fitton of Judicial Watch and Jenny Beth Martin of Tea Party Patriots, called governors and local leaders “petty, would-be dictators” who had committed “rampant abuses of constitutional rights and civil liberties” as part of their response to the coronavirus.
- Arresting pro-life counselors for peacefully standing outside an abortion clinic while maintaining social distance.
- Government officials arresting and handcuffing a father in front of his child for playing catch outdoors.
- Arresting a man for surfing.
- Ticketing citizens for attending a drive-in church service on church property, in their own cars.
- Police officers telling an African American pastor that his rights are suspended because of coronavirus orders.
- Prohibitions on citizens’ rights to purchase firearms.
- Claiming the right to assemble in protests against state shelter-in-place orders is not an “essential activity”
Read their wing nuttery in its entirety below.
“Many see this crisis as an opportunity to reduce liberty and enlarge government power in permanent ways,” the letter states. “We urge the DOJ to take numerous, specific actions, right now, to focus and act against this disturbing new danger to our country’s future.”
Asked about the conservatives’ missive to Barr, a Justice Department spokeswoman said only: “We are reviewing the letter.”