DATELINE MURRAY, Utah
“An adult male set his gun down and forgot it was loaded,” said Murray Police Sgt. Richmond. “He went to open it up to take it apart, and the 9 mm bullet went through three separate bays and struck an adult female in both legs.”
The officer said the woman will need surgery as the bullet nicked an artery. He said she was in “good spirits.”
Sgt. Richmond said the shooter is experienced with the pistol.
“He completely forgot the gun was still loaded.”
Richmond said “it was clearly an “accidental” discharge” so no charges will be filed. He said the shooter was “almost in shock.
The shooter was in his 30s and the shootee was in her 40s.
Earlier in the day, 40 miles up the road at another shooting range, a man in Ogden “accidentally” shot himself in the hand while cleaning his gun.
Here’s some safety rules so that you don’t have to!
BASIC FIREARM SAFETY RULES
- Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire.
- Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to shoot.
- Know your target, your target’s environment, and any other safety hazard before you fire.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Never fan your revolver. (I made that one up.)