What proved to be a total snoozefest also proved to be a convention filled with lies, pitting Americans against one another, hate, and a whole lot of fear mongering. Be afraid, Americans, of riots, protests, civil and social unrest happening under a Biden administration while they have occurred for months and right now during the Trump administration.
CNN counted more than 20 false, exaggerated or misleading claims from Trump on Thursday night.
- Claim: Trump lied and said Joe Biden would remove his Stupid Wall, thus suggesting Biden favored opened borders.
- Fact: Joe Biden said he would stop any new construction of Trump’s Stupid Wall but not remove it.
- Claim: For the zillionth time, Trump repeated the lie that he got passed and signed into law the Veterans Choice Act.
- Fact: President Obama signed The Veterans Choice Act into law in 2014.
- Claim: Like many of his Cultists, Trump claimed 9 million jobs were created in the last few months.
- Fact: These jobs are jobs recovered since the pandemic hit. Trump also fails to let everyone in on the little secret that the US lost 22 million jobs since March and we ONLY recovered 9 million of them, or 40 percent (give or take).
- Claim: Trump made numerous false claims regarding COVID-19, too many to list individually.
- Fact: The US was very slow to test people when the pandemic hit. We fell short on PPE needs. PPE furnished to healthcare providers by the (mis)administration was faulty, crappy, defective, etc.
As for Trump’s claims on developing new treatments, the US has not yet developed a single new treatment for coronavirus. The only treatments that have been shown to work against coronavirus are old treatments – the steroid dexamethasone, the existing drug remdesivir, which has minimal benefits, blood thinners and convalescent plasma, which is a 100-year-old last-ditch treatment, and the FDA commissioner acknowledged he overstated its potential benefits on Sunday. Antibody treatments are in the works, but are far from approval and it’s not clear how well they might work.
- BIGGEST LIE OF THE NIGHT: Trump claimed that he has done more for the African American community than any other president since Abraham Lincoln.
- Fact: See Lyndon Johnson, the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which SCOTUS gutted.
Oh, and for the zillionth time, Joe Biden has stated he does not favor defunding the police.
More Fact Checking Sources:
Yahoo News (Social Security and Medicare information):