Derek Chauvin, ex-Minneapolis officer charged in George Floyd’s death, released after posting $1M bond

  • Post author:
  • Reading time:2 min(s) read

A Minnesota Department of Corrections spokesperson confirmed Chauvin was no longer being held at the prison on Wednesday, and state court records show he posted a non-cash $1 million bond on Oct. 7, signed by A-Affordable Bail Bonds of Brainerd, Minnesota.

KVRR

Floyd, a Black man in handcuffs, died May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for several minutes as Floyd said he couldn’t breathe. Floyd’s death was captured in widely seen bystander video that set off protests around the world. Chauvin and three other officers were fired. Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder and other crimes; Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are charged with aiding and abetting.

The other three officers previously posted bail amounts of $750,000 and have been free pending trial. Currently, all four men are scheduled to face trial together in March, but the judge is weighing a request to have them tried separately.

KTLA 5

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter and faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted of second-degree murder.

Minneapolis officers were responding to a report of a counterfeit $20 bill being used at a local grocery store when they encountered Floyd, according to the criminal complaint that was filed against Chauvin.

NBC News

Judge Jeannice M. Reding set bail for Chauvin four months ago, putting it at $1 million with conditions or $1.25 million without conditions. 

By posting the lower bail amount, Chauvin will have to abide by all laws, have no contact with Floyd’s family and surrender any guns and firearms licenses. He will also be required not to leave Minnesota.

In a handwritten note on her order setting the bail amounts, the judge added a stipulation for Chauvin: “Do not work in law enforcement or security.”

NPR

Coincidentally

Jacob Blake released from hospital, enters rehab center

Jacob Blake has been released from the hospital, well over a month after he was shot seven times in the back at point-blank range by Kenosha, Wis., police.

Blake attorney Patrick Cafferty told CNN that the 29-year-old had been transferred to “a spinal injury rehabilitation center in Chicago” but declined to give additional details as to how long Blake is expected be at the rehab facility.

The Hill

Surley

No hell below us, Above us only sky, Get over it