Former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton are volunteering to get their Covid-19 vaccines on camera to promote public confidence in the vaccine’s safety once the US Food and Drug Administration authorizes one.
The three most recent former presidents hope an awareness campaign to promote confidence in its safety and effectiveness would be a powerful message as American public health officials try to convince the public to take the vaccine.
What they’re saying:
- President Bush’s Chief of Staff Freddy Ford told CNN that Bush reached out to both Drs. Fauci and Brix to see how he could help promote the vaccine.
- “A few weeks ago President Bush asked me to let Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx know that, when the time is right, he wants to do what he can to help encourage his fellow citizens to get vaccinated,” Ford told CNN. “First, the vaccines need to be deemed safe and administered to the priority populations. Then, President Bush will get in line for his, and will gladly do so on camera.”
- President Clinton press secretary told CNN also expressed interest in getting vaccinated on camera.
- “President Clinton will definitely take a vaccine as soon as available to him, based on the priorities determined by public health officials. And he will do it in a public setting if it will help urge all Americans to do the same,” Angel Urena said.
- President Obama, in an interview with SiriusXM host Joe Madison scheduled to air Thursday, said that if Fauci said a coronavirus vaccine is safe, he believes him.
- “People like Anthony Fauci, who I know, and I’ve worked with, I trust completely,” Obama said.
- “So, if Anthony Fauci tells me this vaccine is safe, and can vaccinate, you know, immunize you from getting Covid, absolutely, I’m going to take it.”
- “I promise you that when it’s been made for people who are less at risk, I will be taking it,” he said.”I may end up taking it on TV or having it filmed, just so that people know that I trust this science, and what I don’t trust is getting Covid,” he added.
Trump has not said if he’ll will join the former presidents and get vaccinated on camera or seek out ‘the bleach and lightening rod treatment’ to promote its safety and effectiveness in treating the deadly Coronavirus.