Donald Trump has allies that were just re-elected to lead the Republican National Committee.
RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel and co-chairman Tommy Hicks easily won reelection on Friday at the party’s annual winter meeting on Florida’s Amelia Island. Their presence for the next two years will be an asset to Trump trying to retain influence over the party, even with some GOP leaders trying to make a break with him.
The niece of Mitt Romney and granddaughter of former Michigan Governor George Romney ran unopposed.
Some at the meeting privately expressed anger over Donald Trump Jr.’s remarks at the rally before the president’s supporters stormed the Capitol, where he said, “This is Donald Trump’s Republican Party!” There was also a desire in some corners for the committee to formally condemn the president, which it ultimately didn’t do.
But many Trump supporters made clear they weren’t backing away an inch from the president, who is weighing a 2024 comeback bid. Trump got a rapturous reception when he called into a Thursday morning breakfast meeting. Trump made no mention of the previous day’s events and said nothing about conceding the presidential race.
Several attendees noted:
- Some members said the “protests” were mostly peaceful
- A small number of bad actors made the movement look bad
- Few members recognized Trump’s role, refusing to acknowledge any incitment
- Acknowledgement that the riot had damaged the party
- The party needed to keep Trump supporters in the fold
- She would remain neutral in her leadership
More at Politico.