With so many crazy things happening, sometimes things fall through the cracks. Here are some headlines that you may find interesting and worth discussing.
- Right-wing extremists are using channels on the encrypted communication app Telegram to call for violence against government officials on Jan. 20, the day President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated, with some extremists sharing knowledge of how to make, conceal and use homemade guns and bombs.
- A south (Chicago) suburban man who authorities said has a history of threatening members of Congress was arrested Tuesday on federal charges alleging he promised violence at the upcoming presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C.
- “We will surround the (expletive) White House and we will kill any (expletive) Democrat that steps on the (expletive) lawn,” Louis Capriotti allegedly said in a Dec. 29 voicemail left for a U.S. House member from New Jersey, according to a criminal complaint unsealed Tuesday.
- With the U.S. reeling from the aftermath of the insurrection in the U.S. Capitol by some supporters of President Donald Trump, a GOP group in Wisconsin is under fire for a message on its website that urges conservatives to “prepare for war.”
And they hold the door open for them on their way out:
- A man who allegedly brought guns, bombs and hundreds of rounds of ammunition to the Capitol riot last week was carrying a list of “good guys” and “bad guys,” prosecutors told a federal court on Tuesday.
- A North Carolina lawman who endorsed Rep. Madison Cawthorn has pulled his support because the freshman Republican spoke at the rally before a violent mob stormed the Capitol. “As a law-enforcement officer, I should have seen the red flags,” former Henderson County Sheriff George Erwin told The Charlotte Observer.
Breaking News: Pence Will Not Invoke the 25th Amendment
VP Mike Pence has responded to Madame Speaker Pelosi that he will not invoke the 25th Amendment, saying the action would not be in the best interest of our nation — urging Congress to avoid actions that would “further divide and inflame the passions of the moment.”
BREAKING: In a letter to Speaker Pelosi, VP Pence says he will not invoke the 25th Amendment.
"I do not believe that such a course of action is in the best interest of our Nation or consistent with our Constitution," he says. pic.twitter.com/jTx6lSsw8p
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) January 13, 2021