- President Biden is hosting labor leaders at an Oval Office meeting Wednesday to discuss two of his leading priorities: his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, which is pending in Congress, and investing in the nation’s infrastructure.
- Vice President Kamala Harris stressed Wednesday that teachers should be given priority for getting Covid-19 vaccinations, but wouldn’t say if she believed that giving them the shots should be a prerequisite for reopening schools.
- Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) are pressing President Biden to use his executive power to cancel $50,000 per borrower in student debt after he balked at the idea at a Tuesday town hall.
- Sens. Michael Bennet (Colo.) and Tim Kaine (Va.) would create a government-run health care plan on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) exchanges to compete with plans offered by private insurers with the hope of driving down costs.
- Although hospitalization and death rates have declined, the Unites States has suffered close to Five Hundred Thousand dead Americans.
- Pandemic Morons: Las Vegas hotels Mandalay Bay, Park MGM, The Mirage to return to 24/7 operations.
- On Wednesday, South Africa became the first country in the world to roll out the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- The vaccine has so far proved to be 100% effective in preventing death and hospitalisation due to Covid-19 – also in its South African trial.
- It has other benefits, including that it doesn’t require a deep freeze and or more than one jab.
White ISIS/MAGAts/Wing Nuts:
- So, El Rushbo took his last breath.
- An Arizona woman charged in connection with the Jan. 6 onslaught of the U.S. Capitol bragged in a Snapchat video that she was recently recruited by a Kansas City chapter of the Proud Boys, a neofascist organization that describes itself as “Western chauvinists” and has long forbidden female members.
- Sure, Abbott:
- And fact checked:
- More fact checking found here:
- Not to be outdone in the Stupid Category, Rick Perry chimes in:
- Leo Brent Bozell IV, the son of a prominent conservative activist and media critic, has been charged for his alleged involvement in the Capitol insurrection.
- At least 31 people in eight states have died in the winter storm that has swept across the United States this week, the authorities said, with car crashes and carbon monoxide poisoning responsible for many of the deaths.
- Millions of jobs that have been shortchanged or wiped out entirely by the coronavirus pandemic are unlikely to come back, economists warn, setting up a massive need for career changes and retraining in the United States.
- Promotions for Female Generals Were Delayed Over Fears of Trump’s Reaction.
- Justice Department Charges 3 North Korean Hackers For Global Cyberattacks.
- Retail spending soared 5.3% last month compared to December, much more than anticipated, as U.S. families began receiving new federal coronavirus relief checks.
Texas Bans Out-of-State Gas Shipments as Crisis Worsens
Texas intervened in its natural gas industry amid an unprecedented energy crisis by banning producers from shipping the power and heating fuel across state lines.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott said during a media briefing Wednesday that he issued an order forbidding sales to power producers outside of its borders through Feb. 21, forcing them to sell to Texas power generators instead.
Thousands of cold-stunned sea turtles being rescued in Texas
Thousands of sea turtles stunned by record cold temperatures in Texas have been brought to a convention center in an attempt to rescue them. The South Padre Island Convention Center is holding about 3,500 sea turtles, executive director Ed Caum says. https://t.co/OIknQs3Pv7
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 17, 2021
Missed the WH Press Briefing? Jen’s regular 2 minute Sit Rep keeps us in the know…..
I’ve gotten a ton of great questions on Twitter since our last video, so I took some time to answer a few more here. We covered a lot of ground — from what we are doing on vaccines, to how @POTUS is helping small businesses, to an update on Major and Champ. pic.twitter.com/X9P48csp9S
— Jen Psaki (@PressSec) February 16, 2021