With so many crazy things happening, sometimes things fall through the cracks. Here are some headlines that you may find interesting and worth discussing. Please feel free to post ‘headlines’ you would like to share that we may have missed.
- President Joe Biden will unveil a series of executive actions aimed at addressing gun violence on Thursday, according to a person familiar with the plans, delivering his first major action on gun control since taking office.
- He’s also expected to nominate David Chipman, a former federal agent and adviser at the gun control group Giffords, to be director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Biden administration to restore $235m in US aid to Palestinians.
- ‘Inaction simply is not an option’: Biden defends infrastructure plan to ‘build for tomorrow’
- Mitch McConnell back pedals on his ‘STFU and stay out of politics’ to Corporate America:
- “Let me say, I didn’t say that very artfully yesterday. They’re certainly entitled to be involved in politics. They are. My principal complaint is, they didn’t read the darn bill,” McConnell said Wednesday at a press conference in Paducah, Kentucky.
- McConnell further opened his yap and offered this: U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Wednesday that infrastructure legislation could win support from Republicans in Congress if it targets traditional projects involving roads, bridges and broadband and does not unwind 2017 tax cuts.
- “If we could agree on what the definition of infrastructure is – and I think it clearly must include roads and bridges and broadband – there may be a way forward. But it needs to be credibly paid for, not through completely revisiting the tax reform act of 2017,” McConnell told a press conference in Madisonville, Kentucky.
Voter Suppression/Voting Rights:
- The Georgia lawmaker who was arrested after knocking on the door of the governor’s office as he made televised comments in support of the sweeping, controversial new election law he’d just signed will not be charged, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
COVID-19 Updates and COVIDIOTS:
- One in 4 U.S. adults is now fully vaccinated.
White ISIS/MAGAts/ White Supremacists/Wing Nut Watch/GUNZ!:
- How right-wing media keeps smearing George Floyd with the racist ‘no angel’ narrative.
- Task Force Investigates Whether Trump Separated Families Earlier Than Known.
- Give it a damn rest, already!
- 16 killed, 14 injured in bus crash involving mine workers near US-Mexico border.
- GUMMIES!: Virginia lawmakers approve marijuana legalization.
- Florida has seen the biggest gain in uninsured Americans signing up for Obamacare after President Joe Biden reopened HealthCare.gov for a special enrollment period.
- Texas and North Carolina also saw a large increase in Obamacare enrollments with 98,082 and 32,577, respectively, over the same period of time.
- More than 25 million lower-income Americans whose stimulus payments were delayed finally received them on Wednesday. And one group still waiting — certain veterans and their beneficiaries — can expect their payments to arrive next week, the Internal Revenue Service said.
- A chance to ‘rise’: St. Louis elects 1st Black female mayor
- “We are done ignoring the racism that has held our city and our region back,” Jones said in her victory speech.
Navalny’s Continues Hunger Strike in Prison; Possible Tuberculosis; Inadequate Medical Care
Jack Hanna, Columbus Zoo Director and Letterman Favorite, diagnosed with Dementia; retires from Public Life.
Renowned zookeeper Jack Hanna’s family says the animal expert and TV host has been diagnosed with dementia and will retire from public life.
His son says Hanna’s sense of humor still shines through and his infectious enthusiasm will be his legacy. pic.twitter.com/k9jSgGBg85
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) April 7, 2021