Speaker Pelosi announced today her appointments to a bipartisan Select Committee to investigate the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.
“It is clear that January 6th was not simply an attack on a building, but an attack on our very democracy: an attack on the peaceful transfer of power. It is imperative that we find the truth of that day and ensure that such an assault on our Capitol and Democracy cannot ever again happen.”
“It had been our hope to establish a bipartisan, independent National Commission, but there is no prospect for that Commission at this time,” continued Speaker Pelosi. “Yesterday, the House established the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. Today, I am proud to name Members who will patriotically honor our oath and our responsibility to the American people: to seek the truth.”
- Chair Bennie Thompson: Chair of Homeland Security Committee
- Chair Zoe Lofgren: Chair of Committee on House Administration
- Chair Adam Schiff: Chair of House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Rep. Pete Aguilar, House Administration and Appropriations Committees
- Rep. Liz Cheney, Armed Services Committee
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy, Armed Services Committee
- Rep. Jamie Raskin, Oversight and Judiciary Committees
- Rep. Elaine Luria, Navy veteran, Armed Services and Homeland Security Committees
The Committee will be bipartisan, with thirteen members appointed by the Speaker, five of whom will be appointed after consultation with the Minority Leader.
Committee members will have the power to subpoena witnesses and documents.
See the entire statement here.
More at NBC