Several factors have prompted the Department of Homeland Security to issue a new National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin regarding the heightened threat environment across the United States.
- The 20th Anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.
- Upcoming religious holidays.
- Threats by domestic terrorists, individuals and groups engaged in grievance-based violence, and those inspired or motivated by foreign terrorists and other malign foreign influences.
- These actors are increasingly exploiting online forums, AKA: shitholes, to influence and spread violent extremist narratives and promote violent activity.
- Threats exacerbated by impacts of the ongoing global pandemic, including grievances over public health safety measures and perceived government restrictions.
Read the summary below: