Maryland couple burns down their home trying to control snake infestation

While trying to manage a snake infestation on their property, a Maryland couple burned down their house trying to ‘smoke out’ the snakes.

The fire broke out around 10 p.m., officials said. Piringer said 75 firefighters were called to put out the blaze. It’s believed that coals in the basement started the fire, which caused more than $1 million in damage.

WTOP:

According to the Washington Post:

Part of the homeowner’s plan — a decidedly small part — made sense. Snakes have a great sense of smell, experts say, and the odor of smoke, in theory, could prompt them to slither off.

Beyond that, the idea of setting a series of small fires in a residential basement to drive out a snake infestation went horribly wrong. The smoke led to flames that led to a massive fire that destroyed a million dollar home in Maryland.

“That’s not a technique I was familiar with,” said local wildlife biologist Dan Rauch. “I certainly recommend something else for dealing with snakes — starting with calling a professional.”

About Ms. G 3296 Articles
Welcome back, America!