Sometime next year, the US Treasury Department and Congress will have to deal with the debt ceiling. For those who pretend they know how things work and/or drain their brains on MAGAt ‘news’ sources, the debt ceiling “is a legal limit on the amount of money that the federal government can borrow in order to pay for spending that Congress has already authorized. Raising the debt limit doesn’t create new spending, it just prevents the government from defaulting on its debts.”
In an interview with Punchbowl News, Qevin McQarthy stated the House could use the federal government’s “debt ceiling” to try to pry policy concessions from Democrats.
Gee, I wonder what and where the GQP could get their pounds of flesh from….Cuts to Social Security? Medicare? The Affordable Care Act? SNAP? More tax cuts for those ‘job creators?’
In other words, the GQP will hold our economy and financial obligations hostage to get what they want.
“Congress raised the debt ceiling three times when Donald Trump was president, avoiding the market-rattling, economic showdowns that congressional Republicans had forced when Democratic President Barack Obama was in office. During the Trump presidency, and for a time when Republicans controlled at least one chamber of Congress, the debt soared to $7 trillion.”
What Else is On the GQP Agenda if They Regain Control?:
- Impeach President Biden and members of his cabinet, specifically Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Attorney General Merrick Garland. Shockingly, McQarthy isn’t a big fan of impeachment.
- Select committees to investigate the withdrawal from Afghanistan last year that TFG originally initiated.
- “Investigations into the origins of Covid, as well as his claim that the Justice Department was tagging parents who spoke up at school board meetings as “terrorists.” The Washington Post fact checker dug into this one, so we’ll let them speak on that.“
- Kicking Democratic Party members off of key committees and putting morons and MAGAts like GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Paul Gosar (Ariz.) on them.
- Creating a national standard by which to judge local prosecutors. In other words, all those women escaping their Handmaiden Red State to seek medical care that may be illegal in their state will be held accountable for their actions. All those district attorneys that said they would not prosecute them will be forced to prosecute them under Qevin’s stellar expansion of ‘big government.’
- Ending aid to Ukraine, which will please all of Putin’s puppets.