With so much going on in our world, we sometimes miss important issues. Please feel free to share any headlines or new developments we may have missed providing they come from reliable and credible sources. If your news pertains to Putin’s war of choice in Ukraine, please do not parrot any Russian propaganda from far-right ‘news’ sources unless you’re trying to point out that the far-right extremist in our country and elsewhere actually believe their own BS or Russian disinformation. We also will not except any parroted far-right BS regarding issues occurring here, at home. We also ask that you provide a link to your source so folks can read it if they want. Please do not make any claims that you cannot factually validate or verify.
Fact check: Musk’s claim about a fall in hate speech doesn’t stand up to scrutiny
the Center for Countering Digital Hate’s analysis of data from the social media analytics tool Brandwatch shows that the week in question saw an uptick in the amount of hateful language being tweeted. Brandwatch counts retweets and quote retweets in these figures.
What we found
In the week beginning October 31, the first full week under Musk’s ownership, there were:
- 26,228 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur n**ger, triple the 2022 average
- 33,926 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur tra**y, up 53% on the 2022 average
- 21,903 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur fa**ot, up 39% on the 2022 average
- 2,598 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur k*ke, up 23% on the 2022 average
- 1,256 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur w*g, up 62% on the 2022 average
- 935 tweets and retweets mentioning the slur sp*c, up 67% on the 2022 average
Exclusive audio: Musk talks potential Twitter bankruptcy, return to office in meeting
Twitter began layoffs on Friday that will cut roughly half of its workforce.