Good morning, News Viewers, welcome to another edition of Coffee Talk, Thursday’s free chat session with a suggested topic. Make of it what you will, bring your mug of the morning, and enjoy some company among friends.
It’s December 8, and only 18 days until Christmas. When I check back to last week’s topic, there was a whole lot of hum-bugging going on. So I’m here to give it one more try to get the News Views peeps into some “Christmas Spirits.”
Here’s one of our family Christmas cocktails. I remember my mother making this well before I was of drinking age, but I did get a dixie cup sized sample. Maybe she thought of it as a sleep aid. It’s been years now since I’ve had it, but Mom and my sis’s family will be here the week before Christmas, and I’ve got the freezer space to make a batch.
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups strong brewed black tea
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups whiskey
- 7 cups water
- 1 liter ginger ale soda
- 2 lemons – cut into wedges, for garnish
- In a large plastic container combine lemonade concentrate, orange juice concentrate, tea, sugar, whiskey and water. Mix well and freeze for 24 hours.
- Scoop into a tall glass, 3/4 full, and pour ginger ale to fill the glass. Stir and garnish with lemon wedges.
Everyone needs a dose of Christmas Spirits to get us through the stressful holidays. Got a traditional family concoction to share?
I know it’s too early in the morning to be thinking cocktails — but it’s 5:00 somewhere! — and Christmas is only 18 days away. I’m feeling like I don’t have much time left to prepare any menus or gift ideas — or even to gather my thoughts.
Coffee…. must. have. more. coffee.
Enjoy your free chat and have a great Thursday.