Talking Points Memo obtained the 2,319 text messages that Mark Meadows turned over to the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack. According to TPM, 364 of those messages came from Republicans who discussed overturning the election with him. While some have been previously revealed, many are unknown to the public ahead of the committee’s upcoming final report.
Rachel Maddow focused last night on the texts between Meadows and South Carolina Republican Ralph Norman who reached out to Meadows on January 17 to urge the administration to implement “Marshall Law” before the Biden Inauguration.
To be clear, Norman endorsed martial law without knowing how to spell it.
“Mark, in seeing what’s happening so quickly, and reading about the Dominion law suits attempting to stop any meaningful investigation we are at a point of no return in saving our Republic !! Our LAST HOPE is invoking Marshall Law!! PLEASE URGE TO PRESIDENT TO DO SO!!”
Watch the extended clip below.
Norman was only one of 34 Republican members of Congress who reached out to Meadows by text messaging. Each of them swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States.
- A Republican from Tennessee and member of the House Homeland Security Committee, Mark Green, alerted Meadows that a Newsmax reported was saying that operative Dick Morris insisted that legislators in GOP-led states had the power to “declare” Trump the winner.
- North Carolina Republican Ted Budd, who was just promoted to the U.S. Senate, texted Meadows about conspiracy theories involving Dominion Voting Machines and George Soros.
- Ohio’s finest, Jim Jordan, offered this gem, in part: “On January 6, 2021, Vice President Mike Pence, as President of the Senate, should call out all electoral votes that he believes are unconstitutional as no electoral votes at all — in accordance with guidance from founding father Alexander Hamilton and judicial precedence…” Meadows responded: “I have pushed for this. Not sure it is going to happen.”
- Mr. Pennsylvania Scott Perry (also Freedom Caucus chair) believed there were secret Italian satellites rigging American voting machines and the Trump-appointed CIA director was in cahoots with the British.
- Arizona weirdo Paul Gosar contributed this about Dominion: “When is the 45 days up? What date starts the clock ?? Nov 3rd? If it is, then that is December 18!!! China bought Dominion in October for $400 million. If that’s not interference, then should have a report with details and specifics that would validate that either way. And if they didn’t…… Call me I have some fireworks coming out of AZ early tomorrow. Call me anytime, I’m up.”
- Gosar seemed to glean his assertions from Alex Jones’ InfoWars and a fringe blog called “Some Bitch Told Me.”