Good evening, News Viewers, and Happy April Fools’ Day! Any good pranks to share? I got nothing–
So, I decided I would share some music history. On April 1 the following events happened in the music world:
- 2020 Dolly Parton: donated $1 million to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center to help fund research for a coronavirus vaccine. (The economics dept. received nothing. 😂).
- 1996-After blowing through more than $30 million, MC Hammer files for bankruptcy protection. (How do you blow through more than $30 million dollars?!?!)
- 1985 It’s no joke: David Lee Roth officially leaves Van Halen to start a solo career.
- 1984-Marvin Gaye is fatally shot by his own father and dies at age 44. An investigation reveals that Marvin had beaten his father, who ends up serving five years’ probation for voluntary manslaughter. Gaye had just received a Grammy for his hit, “Sexual Healing”, his first Top 40 single in 5 1/2 years. Remarkably, Gaye’s father received only a six-year suspended sentence and five years probation after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter. Charges of first-degree murder were dropped after doctors discovered Marvin Sr. had a brain tumor which would kill him in October, 1998. (***I remember when Marvin’s father shot him but the part about Marvin beating up his dad is new to me or I don’t recall).
- 1984: One of the most shocking moments in rock history–Marvin Gaye was shot dead by his father at his parent’s home in Los Angeles, the day before his 45th birthday. Gaye had tried to intervene in a squabble his parents were having over misplaced documents, but was killed by the gun Gaye had given his father just four months before. Marvin Gaye, Sr. pleaded guilty to manslaughter after first-degree murder charges had been dropped due to the discovery that he had a brain tumor.
- 1970-As an April Fool’s joke, John Lennon and Yoko Ono issued a statement to the press that they were having dual sex change operations. (***3–2–1–, MAGAts’ empty heads explode in unison…a penix in a jar! 😆)
Now, it’s your turn to share some music history, videos, whatever you choose. Or, just hang out and enjoy your fellow peeps.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay safe!