It is an off year but there are a few governor races to watch and OHIO! where the Fundie Freaks want to strip away a woman’s right to choose.
- Competitive races in dozens of states will signal what voters are thinking ahead of 2024, including whether the overturning of Roe v. Wade continues to motivate people and whether economic unease hurts incumbents.
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, faces a challenge from Republican state Attorney General Daniel Cameron, who has defended the state’s abortion ban.
- In Mississippi, Gov. Tate Reeves, a Republican, is running against Democrat Brandon Presley.
- Ohio voters will decide on two ballot measures. The first would enshrine the right to reproductive care, including access to abortion, into the state constitution. The second would legalize recreational marijuana use. Both amendments require 50% thresholds after voters rejected a measure this year to raise the threshold.
- Virginia holds elections for the state Senate and Assembly, where Democrats narrowly control the upper chamber and Republicans control the lower. The fight for control of the Senate has largely been painted as a vote on whether the state will further restrict abortion.
I have a few links for you to check out, some results coming in from Kentucky, and I hope you will participate in posting anything you find from credible sources.
So far, this is Kentucky (3:49 p.m. PST):