Four officers shot dead, four wounded, in North Carolina home siege

The compound tragedy adds to a growing list of officers shot and killed in the line of duty this year. At least 98 officers were shot in the line of duty from January through March, according to the Fraternal Order of Police, an organization representing US law enforcement officers. Ten of those officers died.

Four law enforcement officers have been fatally shot and four others were wounded while serving an arrest warrant in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

On Monday, April 29, 2024, around 1:30 p.m., the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force, comprised of officers from multiple agencies, was conducting an investigation in the North Tryon Division at a home in the 5000 block of Galway Drive. The preliminary investigation indicates officers were attempting to serve active felony warrants on a male subject. As officers approached, the male subject discharged his firearm striking multiple officers. These officers requested immediate response from other officers. As officers responded, the gunfire continued, striking additional officers. In total, eight officers were struck during the gunfire. The officers were rushed to area hospitals. Three task force officers were pronounced deceased at the hospital. One of the injured CMPD Officers, Joshua Eyer, a 6-year veteran, fought for his life for several hours before succumbing to his injuries.”


A suspected attacker was found dead in the front yard of a barricaded home after a standoff that lasted three hours, police said. Two other persons of interest who were inside the home with the suspect were taken into questioning, authorities added.  The dead suspect was later identified by police as 39-year-old Terry Clark Hughes Jr, who was wanted for possession of firearm by a felon

The shooting in Charlotte happened as members of a US Marshals fugitive task force were serving a warrant for possession of firearm by a convicted felon in the Shannon Park neighborhood, Jennings said.

The officers were met with gunfire from a “high-powered rifle” and returned fire, fatally shooting a suspect in the front yard of the house. Jennings said the task force had been serving the warrant to that suspect.

Shots were still ringing out more than two hours after the attack began in a residential area in the east of the city, according to witnesses. 

The assault ended when police stormed the home on Galway Drive in the Shannon Park neighbourhood, using armoured vehicles to smash their way in, destroying windows and doorways.