With so many crazy things happening, sometimes things fall through the cracks. Here are some headlines that you may find interesting and worth discussing. Please feel free to post ‘headlines’ you would like to share that we may have missed.
- Join News Views for a Live Discussion on President Joe Biden’s first address to Congress:
- Cancel the Former Guy’s Punitive Policies: Attorney General Merrick Garland has rescinded a Trump-era memo blocking so-called sanctuary cities from receiving funding from the Department of Justice.
- The proposed American Families Plan would expand access to education and child care. It would be financed partly through higher taxes on the wealthiest Americans.
COVID-19 Updates and COVIDIOTS:
- West Virginia Gov. Justice: 15 more deaths ‘is what we’ve got to stop’ by getting vaccinated:
- “This is what we’ve got to stop,” Justice said. “This is the whole initiative” on the $100 saving bonds the state is proposing paying those 16-35 who get vaccinated for COVID-19. The state is planning to use CARES Act funding — “we’ve been able to source this from old CARES money,” Justice said.
- New Blood Tests Should Show How Long A COVID-19 Vaccine Will Protect You
- Spotify CEO Daniel Ek is standing behind and promoting his company’s top podcast host, Joe Rogan, even after Rogan spread anti-vaccine misinformation on-air.
- Rogan said in a recent episode of his podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience,” that healthy young people should not get the Covid vaccine, a statement that stands in contrast to all credible public health advice. When Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw asked Ek about those comments on Wednesday, Ek declined to address them directly.
“Is there any intention of tracking folks?” Third District Supervisor Don Wagner asked, and when Chau told him no, he followed up by noting some people have suggested the vaccine includes a tracking device injected into recipients and asked whether that’s taking place.
“There’s not a vaccine with a tracking device embedded in it that exists in the world, that I know of,” Chau said.
- But keep going to their restaurants, eating indoors while unmasked and unvaccinated:
- COVID-19 Has Hit The Amish Community Hard. Still, Vaccines Are A Tough Sell:
White ISIS/MAGAts/ White Supremacists/Wing Nut Watch/GUNZ!:
- Brendan Hunt, an enthusiastic Trump supporter who called for killing members of Congress days after the Jan. 6 insurrection, was found guilty Wednesday of making a death threat against elected officials.
- It took the jury in his case about three hours to reach a verdict, finding that comments Hunt made in a disturbing video posted online two days after the U.S. Capitol riot amounted to a genuine threat to murder elected officials in Washington.
- Ex-Trump aide Stephen Miller’s legal group sues Biden administration, alleging racism against white farmers
- Miller, the architect of the Trump administration’s hard-line immigration policies, cited Martin Luther King Jr. in a statement announcing the suit.
Police Behaving Badly:
- The Richmond Police Department says that five people were shot at an apartment complex on Midlothian Turnpike on Tuesday evening. One person was killed, another is in critical condition.
- Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut, dies at 90.
- Ohio will soon join nearly every other state in the country in allowing transgender people born in the state to change the gender markers on their birth certificates. Tennessee will soon be the lone holdout.