It’s Sunday and the weekend has come to an end. Below are a few articles and events we might have missed but are worthy of discussion. And in case you missed the Sunday shows, we got you covered. Please feel free to add your own headlines we might have missed.
Remember TFG? Meet his Mini-Me:
- Biden extends freeze on student loans as progressives push to cancel them
COVID-19 Updates & COVIDIOTS:
US Now Averaging 100,000 New COVID-19 Infections a Day
- The U.S. was averaging about 11,000 cases a day in late June.
FDA targets early September for approving Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine
Officials have recently accelerated their work and now hope to finalize approval in a matter of weeks.
The U.S. hasn’t OK’d boosters for those who got the J&J vaccine. But some are getting one anyway.
“It didn’t feel good circumventing the system, so to speak,” one person who got an unauthorized booster shot said.
Should’ve Got the Vaccine:
- 3 Central Florida first responders died from COVID-19 complications this week.
- Unvaccinated Americans not changing their behavior, report finds
- A Kaiser Family Foundation survey finds wide differences in attitudes about the Covid-19 vaccines.
The Sunday Shows:
Senate Judiciary interviewing former DOJ officials on Trump post-election efforts
The Justice Department recently told former Trump officials they could answer questions from Congress on the former president’s efforts to overturn the election.
.@GStephanopoulos: “Is it time for more vaccine mandates?”
@NIHDirector Dr. Francis Collins: “Yeah, I think we ought to use every public health tool that we can when people are dying.”
MORE: @NIHDirector Dr. Francis Collins: “I understand how that can sometimes set off all kinds of resistance… how did we get here? Why is it that a mandate about vaccine or wearing a mask suddenly becomes a statement about your political party?”
And there’s Rahm Emanuel parsing words:
How to Trigger a *Fullish* Wing Nut: Post information about the dangers of attending large events, especially with unvaccinated MAGAts, using real scientists as opposed to Faux Christian grifters spouting off fairy tales. Watch him loot said thread, pass it off as his own by putting his lying, Faux Christian spin on it. Stay tuned!
The Games Are Over.
Here Are The 14 Moments That Swept Us Away At The Tokyo Olympics
After 17 days of competition marked by a pandemic, Tokyo closed the Summer Games today. NPR’s team in Tokyo put together our favorite moments of the Games, where participants showed their athleticism, sportsmanship, and what motivated them to compete.
White ISIS/MAGAts/Wing Nuts/The Former Guy/GUNZ!
Because they all suck: The California Republican Party has elected not to endorse any of the candidates running to replace Gov. Gavin Newsom in the upcoming recall election, prioritizing unity over a potentially divisive selection.
- Texas Democrats still refused to return to the state Capitol on Saturday as Governor Greg Abbott began a third attempt at passing new election laws, prolonging a monthslong standoff that ramped up in July when dozens of Democratic state lawmakers left the state and hunkered down in Washington, D.C.
- “A quorum is not present,” said Republican House Speaker Dade Phelan, who then adjourned the chamber until Monday.
Celebrity Death Watch:
Pete Buttigieg takes on FOX for Infrastructure
Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg on Fox News, explaining why the infrastructure bills are necessary and not some left-wing wish list:
"There's nothing radical about these ideas. They are mainstream ideas pretty much everywhere except certain circles in Washington." pic.twitter.com/4NsbG0I7bh
— The Recount (@therecount) August 8, 2021