Collins Dictionary chose ‘Climate Strike’ as their word of the year. ‘Climate Strike’ refers to “a form of protest in which people absent themselves from education or work in order to join demonstrations demanding action to counter climate change.”
- Rewilding: The act of returning land to its original, ‘wild’ state and re-introducing animal life that once inhabited it.
- Non-binary: “Relating to a gender or sexual identity that does not belong to the binary categories of male or female, heterosexual or homosexual.” Non-binary people prefer the pronouns, they or them versus gender specific, he or she.
- Hopepunk: “It is a genre that offers a softer alternative for fraught millennials: optimism delivered as powerfully as possible through acts of kindness and ‘consciously chosen gentleness’.”
- BoPo: Short for body positive, or the idea that people should be proud of their appearance.
- Influencer: People who use social media platforms to promote products and lifestyle choices.
- Deepfake: The creation of fake photos or videos that look real, such as those created by controversial viral app Zao.
- Cancel: Cancel culture, or the public rejection of a person or organization to show disapproval of them.
- Double down: The act of repeating one’s actions or commitment to something regardless of opposition.
- Entryists: People who join political parties or movements with the intent of changing its policies.
Collins said that politics obviously influence their choice to add words to their dictionary that once did not exist. Brexit also played a role and influenced the following terms:
- Brexiety: Anxiety caused by Brexit.
- Cakeism: The act of wanting all the benefits of the EU but unwilling to contribute to paying for them.
Wing Nut Nigel Farage and Islamophobe Tommy Robinson (Stephen Yaxley-Lennon) inspired the term, milkshaked since both had been the victims of milkshakes thrown at them.