About half of all Republicans believe Trump “rightfully won” the U.S. election but that it was stolen from him by widespread voter fraud that favored Democratic President-elect Joe Biden, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll.
- Trump’s open defiance of Biden’s victory in both the popular vote and Electoral College appears to be affecting the public’s confidence in American democracy, especially among Republicans.
- 73% of those polled agreed that Biden won the election.
- 5% thought Trump won.
- When asked specifically whether Biden had “rightfully won,” Republicans showed they were suspicious about how Biden’s victory was obtained.
- Fifty-two percent of Republicans said that Trump “rightfully won.”
- Only 29% said that Biden had rightfully won.