“The soldiers fell ill after consuming a substance acquired outside of authorized food supply distribution channels,” she said in an earlier statement. Ten of the soldiers are enlisted personnel. One is a warrant officer, officials said.
Eleven soldiers were hospitalized at Fort Bliss in Texas after they drank antifreeze mistaken for alcohol, Army officials said Friday, as two service members remained in critical condition.
The soldiers were on the last day of a 10-day field training exercise when the incident occurred Thursday, Lt. Col. Allie Payne, a spokeswoman for the 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss, said during a news conference. Some soldiers may be released from the hospital late Friday, she said, noting that the two most serious cases required intensive care.
The substance detected in lab results — ethylene glycol — is commonly referred to as antifreeze, Payne said.