Previously, ProPublica reported that Supreme Court Justice (Uncle) Clarence Thomas failed to disclose that Harlan Crow, a Texas billionaire, paid for Thomas’ vacations, his mother’s house, and a nephew’s tuition payments. The New York Times also reported that Thomas “received special treatment from members of the Horatio Alger Association, including David Sokol, a former Berkshire Hathaway executive; and H. Wayne Huizenga, the billionaire. ProPublica reported that Paul “Tony” Novelly, the oil baron, is a previously unnamed benefactor of the justice. The total value of the undisclosed trips Thomas has received from these men since 1991, when he was appointed to the Supreme Court, is likely in the millions, the news site said.”
Now it appears the corrupt and unethical SC Justice failed to disclose even more vacations and gifts underwritten by benefactors who share the ideology that drives his jurisprudence. Their gifts included:
- At least 38 destination vacations, including a previously unreported voyage on a yacht around the Bahamas.
- 26 private jet flights, plus an additional eight by helicopter.
- A dozen VIP passes to professional and college sporting events, typically perched in the skybox.
- Two stays at luxury resorts in Florida and Jamaica.
- A standing invitation to an uber-exclusive golf club overlooking the Atlantic coast.
Thomas appears to have violated the law by failing to disclose flights, yacht cruises and expensive sports tickets, according to ethics experts. His highly unethical and corrupt actions, coupled with his blatant disregard for the law, prompted five House Democrats led by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to submit a letter to US attorney general, Merrick Garland demanding a federal investigation into this corrupt, Supreme Court Justice.
Jerrold Nadler of New York, the ranking Democrat on the House judiciary committee; Jamie Raskin of Maryland, a professor of constitutional law; Ted Lieu of California; and Hank Johnson of Georgia also signed the letter.