According to court documents, Maricopa County (AZ) officers arrested 65 year old Kenneth Montgomery after a deadly shooting outside a Hobby Lobby store Monday morning. The victim, 61-year-old Antoinette Leotta met her son, Albert Leotta, at the store where the two planned to shop. Around 9:30 AM, Albert called 911 and said he and his mother had been shot.
Police arrived on the scene and paramedics pulled Ms. Leotta from her car; she was pronounced dead at the scene. Albert was taken to a nearby hospital with gunshot wounds to both legs
Montgomery fled the scene but officers found him two hours later climbing into the bed of a stranger’s pickup truck and arrested him.
Court documents show that Montgomery purchased ammunition before the shooting. According to (3TV/CBS 5):
- Investigators found a bloody handgun on the dashboard.
- He went to the parking lot looking for two cars he “thought were involved in prior criminal activity.
- Montgomery parked his truck in front of the victims’ vehicles.
- “Unloaded” his gun, shooting as many bullets that were loaded.
- Officers found ten 9mm shell casings at the scene.
When officers asked Montgomery if he shot and killed Ms. Leotta and injured her son, he replied with, “G***amn right. Anybody would have” and said he didn’t feel guilty after having decided to shoot them earlier that morning. Police say Montgomery and the victims did not know each other.
Montgomery was booked into the Maricopa County jail on various charges including second-degree murder and aggravated assault. He’s being held on a $1,000,000 bond.